Canadian Cottage Chick

Sunday, August 17, 2008




Cottage life in Canada is a completely different pace, approach, world.

You really have to experience it to truly appreciate it.  Imagine no timings, no contact with the outside world.  All you have is the wilderness, watersports, campfires, beer, steak, family, friends and parcheesi.

Saturday was almost literally the first full day of sunshine we've had up here in Ontario ALL summer, so we spent the entire day on the water.  Tube Wars, Wakeboarding, Swimming, ATVing all day, followed by a feast of steak, shrimp, potatoes, salad, garlic cheese bread, beer and an all night campfire courtesy of our friend's old fence!


I have always wanted to ride my kayak behind the boat, and this weekend was my chance.  I had no experience with this, and no idea what to do to keep me from getting hurt.  I was really nervous as if I was going too fast and took an edge, I could feel some fast-water pain.


First session was fun, but I thought my arms were going to rip out of their sockets.  It wasn't like wakeboarding or waterskiing.  I was carrying the weight of my body, boat and drag from the water.

As we sped up, I started carving on the wake I was creating and getting more and more gutsy.  I was getting some good bounces going and finally twisted, dropped an edge and went vertical!  Woo!  I scared myself so much I let go of the tow rope and crashed.  It was the end of the day, and my hand-roll was finally pooched, so I decided to call it a day.


Next session I will go further; I can't wait!

0 comments: