Working on Jenny Down-time

Sunday, April 22, 2007

River: Petawawa Town Section
Level: 3.78 m
Paddlers: Me, Jeremy, Coop and 2 others

My friend Jeremy came up to Beachburg last night. He is competing at the World Championships for USA in Men's OC-1 and Men's Squirt and will be staying with me for the next couple of weeks.

Coop, him and I were trying to decide what to do for boating today, and were thinking of running the Upper Pet,but we had a few glasses of wine and running the Upper would mean us leaving for Algonquin Park by 7am, which was something we were not willing to do.
After discussing it a bit, we decided to park and play at Catwalk in Petawawa, stop by Coop's place to outfit my squirtboat (lent to me by Cindy Jamison, cuz hers is way better than mine), and then go to Smoothie and work on Mystery Moves.

No eddy service... oh well gives me some lifestyle shots!

Photo: Me!


Jeremy and I loaded up and made the 30 minute trek into Petawawa. We looked at Catwalk and Golf Course and decided to play at Catwalk. The level was lower today than it was on Thursday, but that didn't stop us from hiking back up on the river left side over and over again! I had such a good time, and some of the best surfs of my life! I never felt so in control on a wave in my life! Jeremy had me working on edging while surfing and carving.
Coop showed up a little later, along with two other guys and we took turns surfing and working the camera.



Brent likes to blunt
Photo: Me!


After a while we headed back to Brent and Nadine's place where we sat in the backyard (yes the weather is 100% nicer than it has been these last couple of weeks), had some food, drinks, reviewed Costa Rica photos and outfitted my (Cindy's) squirtboat.



Jeremy throwing down
Photo: Me!





Me Spinning Around
Photo: Jeremy Laucks


Jeremy and I then headed back to the Ottawa River to go check out Smoothie. I was REALLY nervous at the beginning as this would be my first time on the river in a squirtboat. I felt a little shaky and was very aprehensive about McKoy's which is right below Smoothie. Basically if I went out into the current and couldn't get back in the eddy in time I would be running McKoy's in my squirtboat.

I watched as Jeremy explained how to get a mysetery move and started trying to see if his boat (that he made himself) would get down. I finally got up the courage and made my way to the eddy line. The first couple of times I worked on getting the hang of location and movements and then started getting the boat completely underwater. I became more and more courageous the more I tried, and my deepest sink was up to my chest! It was so much fun! We played there until it started getting dark, and then Jeremy decided that we were going to run McKoy's. Personally I didn't think it was such a good idea, but hey, I had run it many times in my plastic boat. I hit and flipped at Phils, but was able to roll up quickly. We paddled back up to the put-in and called it a day.

The was definately my best day on the water. I was more in control and doing more moves while surfing Catwalk. I definately felt as if I was paddling a lot better. Then the squirt session was more than I had expected. I've been in a squirtboat only 4 times in the pool and twice on the river (both times were about 10 minutes trying someone else's boat) and was very excited about the moves that I was able to do and how in control I felt in that itty bitty boat. Pictures to follow.

11 days until the Squirt Competition. I have pool sessions planned, and intend on training every day until Wednesday the 2nd. I'll take a break the day before the comp and then giver the best that I can. I am going to have fun, and even if I finish last place, I will have had a great experience, a lot of fun and met a lot of new people.

It's going to be fun! YEAH!


Parting Shot

0 comments: