Learning to Squirt

Friday, September 22, 2006

River: New River Gorge, WV
Level: 2400 cfs (-0.5 ft)
Paddlers: Me, Stephen, Jeremy, Steve

Today the Jackson crew were arriving and going to paddle the New River Gorge. At the end of the summer Stephen bought a used squirt boat and wanted to play with it at Halls of Karma and then run the rest of the river with the Jacksons.

We met up with a famous local squirter, Steve O’Keefe and spent a couple of hours goofing around in the whirlpools. I was in my Star and managed to get vertical a few times, and even submerged once. It was lots of fun! One of my favourite spots on the Ottawa River is the whirlpools below Butcher’s Knife because you can just play there all day and have a great time. I enjoy it more than park n play at a hole or wave because it doesn’t matter what level paddler you are, everyone can have a good time (and you don’t have to know how to do McNastys!).

I eventually got into Stephen’s squirt boat and as awkward as it was, I actually enjoyed it. I flopped over in the whirlpools a bunch of times before I decided that I wanted to get a squirt boat of my own! The Jackson clan came through and we had been playing for so long that we decided to skip the rest of the river run.

The worst part of the day was that I was FREEZING! For some reason I decided to wear just a paddle top and rashguard instead of a drytop like I did yesterday and I paid the consequences….

All-in-all it was a fun day on the river!

0 comments: